Author Alert … you WANT … no … you NEED to become a top influencer in your field of expertise. Start with discovering WHO the top influencers are in your genre now. Your competition. Your Comparables. Start with these five items:
- Who is your competition? Start with an Amazon and Google search using your keywords, your title. Who do you like? Who do you dislike? What is it that you like (or dislike) about each? Now, what makes you different—what is your unique factor?
- Follow blogs and social media of each. Make comments, reshare items. Reach out to the ones you like. Your goal is to connect and start building a collaboration. You may have info or insights into areas that will support the ones you like. Offer it.
- What’s missing? In reviews posted on Amazon, what do the one and two-stars say that their books lack? Can you provide it in your book? In reviewing their website, their services, is there something you do that would contribute to them or a product that you could create together?
- Be savvy with your social media and blogs. Focus on your uniqueness. Use hashtags so you are quickly findable. Tap into Hashtagify.me to identify other hashtags to use. A blog I wrote and key daily hashtags to use can be found here.
- Post … and post often. Cross post with your various platforms.
Building your influence is not an overnight, an over-week, or an over-month endeavor. It takes time. Just start and do it the above. It’s your beginning. One step at a time.
It’s your turn …
- When will you ID the top influencers in your genre?
- When will you read the one and two star reviews about their books?
Dr. Judith Briles is a book publishing expert and author of 37 multi-award books. She’s guided over 1,000 authors in creating their books, earned in excess of $3,000,000 in speaking fees based on her books and gathered over $2,000,000 in onsite book sales at her speaking gigs. Her latest book, How to Create a $1,000,000 Speech flips a difficult topic into a simple and easily comprehensible plan. If you want to get into speaking, this is the guide that will be the game-changer to success.
Listen to The Book Shepherd’s weekly podcast: AuthorU-Your Guide to Book Publishing.
Check the Events tab on The Book Shepherd for Judith’s annual Speaking Unplugged, Book Publishing Unplugged, and Book Marketing Unplugged 2-day workshops.