Sometimes I noodle with lists … from food to movies to books I love to books I want to read to things I want to do (or must) … you name it, lists are everywhere. Surrounded by books and authors on a 24/7 basis, over a hot mug of tea early this AM, I came up with my It’s Cool to be an Author and Writer list.
- Having Author Friends. We peep need to hang out together. I have oodles and they are ongoing encouragement, enthusiasts and reality checks. I marvel at the new ideas and stories that pour forth. Pure bliss for me.
- When you see your cover for the first time. There is a thrill when the “cover” IS THE ONE! So exciting.
- Gushing readers. Oooh, how cool is that? Makes your heart tingle a tad and the smile that appears on your face priceless.
- Your book is featured at a signing or lands on a shelf in a bookstore. Yup, make sure you take pictures and share them.
- Letters and emails from readers appear in your mailbox. What a great way to start your day—yes your words, thoughts, solutions to make a difference.
- Attending Writing and Publishing Conferences. Yes, I’m working … but hey, it’s PARTY time … and when you are featured or just learning, relish it.
- Misery isn’t your constant companion. Do you know individuals in your circle of friends who are miserable at their job, at their work? We authors love what we do, what we create. And to get paid—it’s a bonus—yummers!
- Being able to say, “I’m an author,” when asked what I “do.” Don’t you love the expressions, sometimes of downright envy, when those lovely words bubble out of your mouth?
- It’s THE BOOK. Authors quickly discover that it’s not just one book—they start breeding! Every book will be different. With each one, you become a better writer. You learn something new. With me, I love it when I “fall into” my writing and to a book, I’m reading.
- Getting THE CALL. I will always remember Friday, December 2, 1979 at 10.20 a.m. I was in my office meeting with a client when my secretary Louie popped in with a grin on her face. “JB, you want to take this call.”
Picking up the phone, my NY agent Jacques DeSpoelberch greeted me with music to my ears, “We’ve got a book … we’ve got a book.” And then telling me that St. Martin’s Press had won the bid. Little did I know that what I thought was the only book I would ever write would seed a life-long career that I love.
That’s my list … what’s on your list?
Judith Briles is a book publishing expert and coach. She empowers authors and works directly with authors who want to be seriously successful and has been writing about and conducting workshops on publishing since the ’80s. Judith is the author of 35 books including Author YOU: Creating and Building Your Author and Book Platforms (Foreword IndieFab Book of the Year), Snappy Sassy Salty: Wise Words for Authors and Writers and a speaker at publishing conferences. Book #35, How to Avoid 101 Book Publishing Blunders, Bloopers & Boo-Boos has earned 7 national book awards in 2017. Get your copy now.
Each summer, she holds Judith Briles Book Publishing Unplugged Bootcamp, a three-day intensive limited to a small group of authors who want to be seriously successful. In 2018, the dates are June 23-25. Participate in her Judith Briles Speaking Unplugged Bootcamp held in March and November. Join Judith live on Thursdays at 6 p.m. EST for “AuthorU-Your Guide to Book Publishing” on the Toginet Network at bit.ly/PublishingShow.
Follow @AuthorUYOUBooks and @MyBookShepherd on Twitter and do a “Like” at AuthorU, and join the Facebook group Book Publishing with The Book Shepherd. If you want to create a book that has no regrets, contact me.
The Book Shepherd® is a registered