I’m always the amused when authors to be jump the gun to become an author. Don’t, there’s lots you need to learn in the very fast whirlwind of publishing that if not, can paralyze your book. And you.
- Avoid the RTP Syndrome … Rush to Publish. Too many authors rush into publishing without understanding the many hurdles and obstacles. Breathe and start learning. You are on a marathon, not a sprint.
- Start hanging out … meaning that you need to go to where successful authors are. Connect, listen, learn. It’s what I love about AuthorU.org — these authors put together books of quality with a goal to sell them and position themselves as experts in a variety of topics. You can learn all about AuthorU here.
- Identify up front whether you are a hobbyist or casual author. I call them dithers–not committed to the process of learning and living within publishing. It’s not something to venture in lightly. Why? Because when you do–you are either guaranteed to fail or worse yet, be hooked by a publishing predator and drained of unlimited amounts of money.
- Do you homework. Learn about publishing.
- Don’t disappear. Your learning curve can act as a mentor to others. And the benefit to you–you keep on learning as well.
Judith Briles is a book publishing expert and coach. She empowers authors and is the Founder of Author U, a membership organization created for the serious author who wants to be seriously successful. She’s been writing about and conducting workshops on publishing since the 80s. Judith is the author of 35 books including Author YOU: Creating and Building Your Author and Book Platforms (ForeWord IndieFab Book of the Year), Snappy Sassy Salty: Wise Words for Authors and Writers and a speaker at publishing conferences. Book #35 was published this summer: The How to Avoid 101 Book Publishing Blunders, Bloopers & Boo-Boos. Get your copy now.
Each summer, she holds Judith Briles Book Publishing Unplugged, a three day intensive limited to a small group of authors who want to be seriously successful. In 2017, the dates are June 22-24th. Her audio and workbook series, Creating Your Book and Author Platform is now available. Join Judith live on Thursdays at 6 p.m. EST for “AuthorU – Your Guide to Book Publishing” on the Toginet Network at bit.ly/PublishingShow .
Follow @AuthorU and @MyBookShepherd on Twitter and do a “Like” at AuthorU and Judith Briles – TheBookShepherd on Facebook. If you want to create a book that has no regrets, contact Judith at Judith@Briles.com.
Author U is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to the author who wants to be seriously successful. Monthly education programs delivered face-to-face and online, The Author Resource ezine, BookCamps and the annual Author U Extravaganza are tools designed for authors pre, during and post publishing of their books. Join AuthorU.org today.
If you are looking for FREE author and book coaching … call in to Judith’s Author Monday Mornings at NOON Eastern each Monday. The number is 218-632-9854; Access Code 1239874444 … have your questions ready–there’s a full hour to ask and listen