5 Sizzling Thoughts and Tips for Authors
during the Holiday Season
It’s Black Friday and Cyber Monday month … Now “ads” are popping to snag all … and guess what, some of the deals will be better than what was originally offered if you miss out on those hallmark selling dates for stores—brick and mortar and online.
If you think you will miss out on the holiday book-buying rush by not getting your book in the Black Friday/Cyber Monday rush, you won’t. Why do you ask? Because books are year-round … holidays every month to play with and take advantage of. That’s a Happy Dance for all of us authors.
Just in time for the Holiday buying/selling mania, here are five tips for self-publishing and indie authors during the holidays that should brighten your holidays.
- Ribbon. Yes, ribbon. Lots of it. You created your fabulous cover … why would anyone want to put wrapping paper over it? Not me. Here’s a showing tip—find a sheer ribbon that picks up one of the accent colors in your design—just tie it in a corner to corner feature and voila! A lovely frame for your book. I do this at all book signings as well when the buyer tells me it’s a gift … and it it’s a gift for self … the ribbon is added as well
2. Create options. Savvy authors typically publish in electronic and print formats. If you haven’t added audio to the mix, you are overdue. Create your book in at least two formats at the same time: eBook and print. Your sales will work together, not against each other. Some of your readers/buyers like to read print; others “e” – it’s like going to a restaurant … even a hamburger joint has a variety to choose from. Once you have your print format, and “e” is a cinch to put together. Your cost should exceed a few hundred dollars and can be done within a very short period of time.
You want to be listed on Amazon … your audio and eBook will automatically be in the WhisperSync program; it supports the combo print and eBook sales.
If you haven’t got an audiobook, get one in the works. Get the AudioBook Wizard, Richard Rieman’s book, The Author’s Guide to AudioBook Creation FREE (a gift to you) by contacting him at Richard@ImaginationVideoBooks.org. Use my name to ask for your copy.
3. Think like a marathoner, not a sprinter. If you are doing POD, print-on-demand, you can get print books in hand once all files are loaded and accepted within days; if you are printing a “run”, it can take from three to five weeks … know what your needs are … and now, think ahead. What events do you want to hype/support and sell into? This is a great time to lay out a “selling seasons” calendar.
Think ahead to upcoming book-buying opportunities. Christmas selling is over except for special events that you have planned … think about birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine’s Day, Mothers-Fathers Days, summer reading, and other big book-buying occasions. Check out Chase’s calendar of holidays/events and Google “weird holidays”—heck, make up your own.
Each fall, I do an Author’s Autumn Tea, a celebration of new authors/books I’ve worked with. Each author “pitches” the book to the crowd—over 150 attended this year … over 300 books were sold in one afternoon. How cool is that? We’ve already set the date of October 29th for 2022.
4. Save money. Always a good idea! If you are printing, did you know that January-February is better months to get bids from book printing companies? They have stopped panting from all the rush of the August-November print madness they go through every year. If you are doing a print run, this is a good time to negotiate—they want your business and it’s a slower time.
5. Breathe. Enjoy the Holidays. Have Fun. And Congratulations … you are an awesome author!
In gratitude to all of you who do and write and publish what you do … from me to you …
Dr. Judith Briles is a book publishing expert and coach. She empowers authors and works directly with authors who want to be seriously successful and has been writing about and conducting workshops on publishing since the ’80s. Judith is the author of 37 books including Author YOU: Creating and Building Your Author and Book Platforms, Snappy Sassy Salty: Wise Words for Authors and Writers, and How to Create a $1,000,000 Speech. Her personal memoir When God Says NO-Revealing the YES When Adversity and Loss Are Present is a #1 bestseller on Amazon. Collectively, her books have earned over 45 book awards. Judith speaks throughout the year at publishing conferences.
Throughout the year, she holds Judith Briles Book Unplugged experiences: Publishing, Speaking, Marketing, and Social Media. All are two-day intensive limited to a small group of authors who want to be seriously successful. Join Judith live for the “AuthorU-Your Guide to Book Publishing” podcast on the Toginet Radio Network HERE.
Follow @AuthorUYOUBooks and @MyBookShepherd on Twitter and do a “Like” at AuthorU, and join the Facebook group Book Publishing with The Book Shepherd. If you want to create a book that has no regrets, contact me.
©2021 Judith Briles – The Book Shepherd™ All Rights Reserved.