Author success revolves around being an entrepreneur. My raw definition of an entrepreneur is someone who creates, organizes and operates a business or multiple businesses. He or she takes on financial risks in order to do so and spends uncountable hours in the process. Often, it’s a solo act … with assist/help from others who are engaged along the journey. Yup, that sounds like the path of a successful author.
To take the journey, here’s what’s needed in five steps:
1. Find a market with a need you can fill with your writing and books; your thoughts; your wisdom; and your creativeness. In other words, who is the WHO you are creating for?
2. Create a product or service that transforms people’s lives. That either entertains them; enlightens them; or solves problems and offers solutions. That means books, online courses, blogs, ezines, podcasts,
3. Standardize your process to turn that product into traffic and sales. Know what your creative muse is; what tools, resources, and people you need around you to make you slick, click and tick.
4. Create a plan that creates action … meaning gets off your tush. Make commitments; follow through; measure results; repeat. It’s called marketing.
5. Repeat. I’ve often said that “books breed more books”—something that I didn’t know when I first published in June of 1981. Now at book #37 … they keep coming. Your fans and followers want your sage advice; your outrageous or thought-provoking stories; your presence. That doesn’t mean that everything you generate will be a home run. It does mean that you are there … you are noodling new ideas … that you are something to look forward to. A good thing.
My five bits for the first week in February for author success. What’s yours?
Dr. Judith Briles is a book publishing expert and author of 36 multi-award books. She’s guided over 1,000 authors in creating their books, earned in excess of $3,000,000 in speaking fees based on her books and gathered over $2,000,000 in onsite book sales at her speaking gigs. Her latest book, How to Create a $1,000,000 Speech flips a difficult topic into a simple and easily comprehensible plan. If you want to get into speaking, this is the guide that will be the game-changer to success.
Get your copy today. http://bit.ly/10