A message from Dr. Judith Briles
Judith Briles is incredibly informative when it comes to publishing and authoring how-tos; highly interactive with her audiences; or even isn’t afraid to say, “What were you thinking when you printed/published/created this cover/etc.?” She is fun, insightful, truly knows the author’s excitement, fear and pain. Some think she is brilliant. Some think she is outrageous. However, the majority want her on their team. Judith is an International Speaker, Publisher, an award-winning and best-selling author, and has been the past president of several publishing associations and has chaired a variety of publishing conferences and events since the 80s. Judith has published 36 books, sold rights to 16 countries and is the Founder and chief Visionary Officer of AuthorYOU, a membership organization and community that was created for the author who desires to be seriously successful. Judith knows publishing and authoring from the inside out. Her no-nonsense approach to creating a book, publishing a book and being financially successful in the process is what every author needs … and wants.
If Publishing Is in Your Midst … Which Option is for YOU and YOUR Book?
Amazon changed the publishing field—a great thing for so many newbie authors who didn’t think a New York publisher or an agent would ever give them a moment’s notice … and it’s also not so good a thing.
Does it make sense to seek a traditional publishing contract? Or, does it make sense
What are the differences between traditional, self, independent, paid-to-publishing, hybrid and vanity publishing?
This in-depth Master Workshop will identify a variety of options for today’s author.
Publishing continues to morph …
- Do you know what your options are?
- Have you created your Author’s Platform?
- What about a Book Platform?
- Do you know how to avoid the publishing predators?
- Do you know who they are?
- Do you know the dollars and sense of publishing?
- Do you know that a book, the right book, can accelerate your career and skyrocket revenues?
- Do you know which publishing option is the right fit for you and your book?
Creating Confidence as a Writer and Author
Based on the best-selling book, The Confidence Factor—Cosmic Gooses Lay Golden Eggs, writers and authors will learn that confidence is acquired, not inherited; and it usually comes from the pitfalls—the cosmic gooses—of the writing life. Woven around the 6 Steps to Building Confidence, this stimulating and humorous speech is guaranteed to motivate and inspire audiences. With confidence, anything is possible. This keynote/general session has consistently received outstanding evaluations.
“You were the #1 rated speaker at the 2015 Las Vegas Writers Conference–you will definitely be invited back!”
Creating the Author and Book GamePlans … Soar Your Book into the Stratosphere
Creating the Author Game Plan to Create Book Buzz and Brand YOU
Learn the 10 key steps, beginning with the WHO the book is for and the VALUE that your book brings to the reader.
Publishing continues to morph … Do you know what your options are? Have you created your Author’s Platform? What about your Book Platform? Do you know how to avoid the publishing predators? Do you know who they are? Do you know the dollars and sense of publishing? Do you know that a book, the right book, can accelerate your speaking career and skyrocket revenues?
In this fast-paced session, you will learn how to create, develop and publish a book without being taken to the cleaners and create the GamePlans you need to succeed.
Help! My Book Has Fallen Down – Ways to Get It Up Pronto!
Truth be told, most self-published books limp along, barely selling 100 copies. If your book is in the limp mode; if it never got out of the gate; or if it’s run out of gas, this workshop is for you.
- Discover what’s missing quickly in your pitching.
- Rebirth your enthusiasm, passion and vision.
- Take away quick techniques to rejuvenate tired copy.
- Discover new sources to reach out to.
- Create the killer Author | Book One-Sheet to get the buzz restarted (or just plain started).
- Amazon can help–learn what to use and what to avoid.
- Strategies to create the re-launch.
- Learn the #1 to get books rolling out of the carton and create a cash cow.
Gone are the days of national book signing tours where an author travels from city to city to meet fans and be featured on TV, radio and in print. Most authors are homebound with their favorite cup of coffee or tea and constant laptop companion. To the surprise of a traditionally published author and bewilderment of the self and indie author, it’s up to the author to be in charge of all marketing and publicity.
Whether you are traditional or indie, it’s the author who is responsible for the majority of book marketing. That means you. You need to think of your book as a product that you are bringing to the market.
The knowledge, tools, tips, and techniques delivered here will impact every decision you make along the way. Your takeaways will include:
- Create a Plan that’s a fit for your buyer and your book.
- Identify which social media platforms to use and which to dump.
- Why and how to use the cyber town hall to position a book launch.
- How to ride the “draft” of your competitors.
- How to get your name out there and get recognized while keeping your sanity.
- Discover “freebies” that will tickle your book marketing fancy.
- How to create branding that waves a flag to your buyers.
- How quirky can get followers to open your Tweets, Postings and Blogs.
- How your author profile can kill your book sales and how to fix it pronto.
- Why authors should create a no-brainer newspaper.
- Why QVC and The Shark Tank are important to all authors.
- Why taking a contrarian position can soar media presence and book sales.
- Develop a social media network, making the most of community events.
- Resurrect a limp and tired book (and sometimes author).
Book marketing means creating chatter and buzz about the author and book. Is it work? Is it scary? Is it confusing? Yes to all. Yet it can be fun. It does take commitment and hot spit, but it turns you into a marketing machine… one step at a time.
The Book Shepherd® Judith Briles will save you from taking a wrong turn in the confusing book marketing maze.
How to Avoid Book Publishing Blunders, Bloopers and Boo-Boos
Whether you are just beginning the author journey or think you are an old pro, the publishing maze has a few tricks up its sleeve. Contracts can snarl you, marketing can swamp you, and social media can suck your energy. No wonder authors become comatose—no longer, after this highly interactive, fun and “aha” session.
- Identify the top blunders even experienced authors repeat.
- Tips on unraveling contracts that have not delivered.
- How to find help without going broke.
- Insider aha’s on the essentials every book should have … and most don’t.
- How to prevent your book from “looking” self-published.
Would you like to turn your book, your ideas, your mouth into a business that creates a lifestyle woven with travel, fun, global friends and financial success? You can with the smart and savvy strategies, you will reveal in this interactive and fun presentation. With over 35 years of speaking of the platform, you will learn:
- How to develop your topic.
- How to identify your key points and create stories to engage an audience.
- How to tie in current events with your presentation.
- How to structure your first words.
- How to create a memorable closing.
- How to find groups that want your message.
- How to move from free to fee.
Speaking sells books—lots of them. Savvy authors learn quickly that hoping book buyers find theirs on Amazon or in any other bookstore may be wishful thinking. They learn and embrace the old-fashioned “face-to-face” approach: have a meaningful message; create insight and magic with their words offering entertainment, encouragement or solutions; and woot—book sales pour forth. Immediately and with payment. Speaking: the golden key to book sales.
• How to create a title that attracts meeting planners and audiences.
• How to pitch yourself to the decision maker.
• How to move from “free” to fee and get paid.
• How to identify your key points and create stories to engage an audience;
• How to coattail on current events within your presentation;
• How to hook an audience within the first few minutes of a presentation.
• How to morph a speech to a workshop, webinar or online course.
• How to find groups that want your message; and
• How to create a closing that delivers a buzz.
CrowdFunding 101 for Authors and Books
It takes a village to create a book … and money. Money for editing; money for cover design; money for interior design and layout; money for marketing; money for publicity; money for printing books; money for education to become a savvy author; money for ______ .
Yes, it takes money. Thousands of dollars. Unless you have plenty of money to fund your book; an awesome friend or relative that loves what you do and is glad to write checks to support you and your journey; or you win the lottery … you need to noodle ways to underwrite your book project(s).
CrowdFunding is a way to get money … other people’s money that comes to you as a “gift.” Oh, you will pay taxes because you will report it as revenues … but you don’t have to pay it back. That’s a Happy Dance for today.
Based on Judith’s best-selling book, The CrowdFunding Guide for Authors & Writers, your take-aways include:
- Learn what CrowdFunding is and how it can work for you.
- IDing which source to use and how it works and how you get paid.
- How to structure your campaign and manage your roll-out.
- How to create perks/rewards that deliver buy-in.
- Create a CrowdFunding GamePlan.
- Timelines and how to develop partners to support your quest.
- Using Virtual Assistants to do preliminary and ongoing campaign work.
Avoid the 7 Deadly Sins Authors Commit in Book Publishing Today
Authors (and Writers who publish books) routinely embrace the 7 Deadly Sins of Book Publishing. Learn what they are and how to avoid them. If a close encounter occurs, what steps can be taken to get out of publishing quicksand and survive.
Publishing has costs. Traditional publishing … Self-Publishing … Indie Publishing … Hybrid Publishing. This session will deep dive into the costs of publishing and do a step-by-step pre-cost break-down of what it takes to get your book created through production.
Publishing Pitfalls … How to Avoid Being Hoodwinked by the Publishing Predators
The single biggest mistakes new authors and wannabe authors do is rush to publish. Publishing Predators lurked at every corner—more interested in the author-to-be’s credit card than the author or the book; most authors sell less than 100 copies of their books; and most authors are clueless about the dollars and sense of publishing. In this in-depth workshop, you will learn:
- Where book publishing is going and how can you take advantage of it.
- The dollars and sense of publishing.
- How to create a Platform that rocks.
- To identify your publishing options.
- How to create a book and in which format should it be published.
- How to identify which format is for you and how to begin the first step.
- How to avoid losing money and keep the Publishing Predators away.
- How to build a team a publishing team that works.
- Learn the power of the book niche.
Create Your 30-second Book Pitch
Learn how to get their voice, their expertise, their book heard above the clatter and racket of the crowd! Around you are the voices of thousands of people competing for space in your customer/clients head.
Authors are notorious when it comes to talking about their about their books … or trying to describe what their books are about. When the mouth opens, words flow … and flow … and flow. The savvy author knows how to Pitch and hook the listener quickly and succinctly. The outcome is that books are sold.
- Learn the three words that every Pitch must elicit from the listener.
- Learn how to create a 30-second OR LESS Pitch that hooks the listener.
- Learn the 5 elements that can make your Pitch memorable.
Participants will practice their Pitches and come away with a Makeover.
Creating Author and Book Platforms
Most authors think that a Platform is all your social media contacts. Wrong. Platforms consist of three critical elements. With them in place, the people can, and will come. Your book buyers. Based on the IndieFab award for Book of the Year in Publishing/Writing Author YOU: Creating and Building the Author and Book Platforms , participants will learn:
- How to create the Author and Book Platforms
- The critical elements of every Author and Book Platforms;
- Why you should know intimately who your reader is before you starting writing;
- How to bring value to the reader;
- How to build spin-offs to expand your base.
Publishing is a Marathon, Not a Sprint
That was yesteryear, not in the reality of today. For authors to succeed, they need to grasp the simple fact that If author and book success is to be, it’s up to me. Whether publishing is created via a traditional publishing house contract or the author takes on the publisher hat, If author and book success is to be, it’s up to the author.
Dr. Judith Briles is a recovered kept author. Of the 35 books published, 18 were published with New York based companies. Great advances, first class air tickets and hotels, author tours for every book were the norm. Yesteryear, not today.
Take the Insanity Out of Social Media … How to Stay Visible without Losing Yourself and Your Day
Can you create and deliver the info to ALL your social media channels within a reasonable time each day … or just once a week? Yes you can! All you need is the tools to do it … and a few apps—free or very low cost.
- Grab the tools and apps to make your life easier.
- Morph the way you think and implement your marketing for your book.
- Go on vacation, yet the world thinks you are at work.
- Create a “calendar of postings and never look back.
- Brand phrases and words and create posters to post again and again.
In this fast pace, yet very hands on session, you will come away with a simple tool that gathers up your various social media streams; learn how to create a variety of variations on one idea—even one sentence that will keep your Fans, your Followers, Communities and Groups wanting more and a variety of gizmos and gadgets that you wish you had from the beginning of your authoring and marketing journey.
Twitter Tips to Titillate Your Book Marketing Success
The Internet is the town hall for book marketing. Savvy authors start building their communities before the book is published. Twitter is a key element in rooting into social media and promoting your book. Your Tweeps and Peeps can, and will, share your words and wisdom with their followers.
- Identify who to follow;
- Identify what posting times and strategies work best;
- Identify methods to use in telling the global community about your book;
- Identify the latest gadgets to enhance your Tweets; and
- Identify 3 quick ways to multi-task your Tweets for maximum impact.
Your book has arrived. It’s time to celebrate. Do you want a book signing or a full blown event? This workshop will deliver a step-by-step how to in creating the ideal event for you and your book as well as identify venues that would match your book.
- Identifying the ideal venue
- Getting the word out
- Set ups – Food – Drink
- Getting your audience involved
- Get them to sign in … and why
- Give aways and thank yous
- Tips for pre-signing
- Getting Reviews on Amazon
Know What to Expect When You Are Expecting … Book Publishing Costs and Critical Timelines to Publishing
A book can be published for minimal dollars or many thousands. Knowing what and where to place moneys; where short cuts can be made; what areas can be negotiated are critical in keeping costs down. Creating a book shouldn’t break the author’s bank.
The So-So, Better and “Best” options will be looked at.
Savvy authors know that there is plenty to do when they are birthing. Yet Publishing Timelines are rarely looked at by an author. Beginning 12 months prior to a book’s publication, this workshop will identify key items that need to be planned and implemented pre and post the final book. Based on Judith’s AuthorYOU Mini Guides series— Critical Book Timelines to Know and Use to Succeed in Publishing Today and Critical Book Publishing Costs for Indie and Self-Publishing Authors to Know and Use to Succeed in Publishing Today will be released in 2015.
Podcasting 101 … Crafting and Growing You and Your Book Business
Podcasting is the new “black” in author amplifying and marketing today. The questions are: Is podcasting right for you? For your expertise? How do you do it? How do you get sponsors for a show? How do you get people to come and listen? How can you monetize it?
All excellent questions, and in this work shop, you will get the answers, plus answers to questions you haven’t even thought of.
- Why Podcasting and why podcasting now?
- What do I need to get started?
- What equipment is needed?
- What are the costs?
- What do I need to do to become an awesome hosts?
- How do I get post-podcast downloads to happen?
- If I want guests, how do I find them?
Judith Briles is an international speaker, publisher, award-winning and best-selling author, and is known as The Book Shepherd and knows the publishing industry. She’s the author of 35 books—18 published with New York, the rest with her own imprint; has sold foreign rights to 16 countries; sold in excess of 1,000,000 in combined sales; is co-founder of Mile High Press (14 titles published representing seven authors); has created and chaired several publishing conferences; and is the Founder and Chief Visionary Officer Author U®. Her books created for authors and writers include:The CrowdFunding Guide for Authors & Writers, Author YOU: Creating and Building Your Author and Book Platforms (the Book of the Year in the PUblishing/Writing category with IndieFab Book Awards), Snappy Sassy Salty: Wise Words for Authors and Writers and Show Me About Book Publishing (with John Kremer and Rick Frishman). Her next book is How to Create a $1,000,000 Speech, to be published in 2017.
Judith’s 35 years on the speaking platform where her words and her mouth supported a family of five guarantee she is not just another speaker. If you want someone who has high energy, is flexible, delivers practical and implemental information, uses both humor and interactive activities for participants, you want Judith speaking to your group. If you are interested in asking Judith Briles to attend your next event, please click here or call 303-885-2207.