The Stages of Writing and Creating Your Manuscript
1. Write 50 to 100 words. Congrats … that’s a PARAGRAPH.
2. Next, string 225 to 250 words … that’s a PAGE.
3. Depending on your chapter length—remember, I’m a fan of “short is the new black”, create anywhere from 1,000 words to 2,000 words … that’s a CHAPTER.
4. You are on a roll. Now, expand your creativity. How many chapters to you think are needed to deliver your story or message? Some may be shorter or longer than #3 … just WRITE. Set aside time each day or a block of time TIME during the week. Create a HABIT.
5. In-between your writing spurts … READ, READ, READ. It will make you a better writer.
6. Engage in REWRITES and EDITING. I promise, your writing will improve.
7. Identify ahas and chewing lines that if are key points for reader. Those will become CALL-OUTS or PULL-OUTS.
8. Who is your ideal READER? Do you have those in your circle on contacts? Ask for FEEDBACK.
9. Happy Dance! You have a MANUSCRIPT.
Now, it’s decision time. Do you go the traditional route or do you go the indie/self-route? It’s an exciting time for publishing today.
Judith Briles is a book publishing expert and coach. She empowers authors and is the Founder of Author U, a membership organization created for the serious author who wants to be seriously successful. She’s been writing about and conducting workshops on publishing since the 80s. Judith is the author of 35 books including Author YOU: Creating and Building Your Author and Book Platforms (ForeWord IndieFab Book of the Year), Snappy Sassy Salty: Wise Words for Authors and Writers and a speaker at publishing conferences. Book #35 was published this summer: The How to Avoid 101 Book Publishing Blunders, Bloopers & Boo-Boos. Get your copy now.
Each summer, she holds Judith Briles Book Publishing Unplugged, a three day intensive limited to a small group of authors who want to be seriously successful. In 2017, the dates are June 22-24th. Her audio and workbook series, Creating Your Book and Author Platform is now available. Join Judith live on Thursdays at 6 p.m. EST for “AuthorU – Your Guide to Book Publishing” on the Toginet Network at bit.ly/PublishingShow .
Follow @AuthorU and @MyBookShepherd on Twitter and do a “Like” at AuthorU and Judith Briles – TheBookShepherd on Facebook. If you want to create a book that has no regrets, contact Judith at Judith@Briles.com.
Author U is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to the author who wants to be seriously successful. Monthly education programs delivered face-to-face and online, The Author Resource ezine, BookCamps and the annual Author U Extravaganza are tools designed for authors pre, during and post publishing of their books. Join AuthorU.org today.
If you are looking for FREE author and book coaching … call in to Judith’s Author Monday Mornings at NOON Eastern each Monday. The number is 218-632-9854; Access Code 1239874444 … have your questions ready–there’s a full hour to ask and listen