All Authors Need a Platform … What’s in Yours?
How’s your Author Platform? Do you have one? Are you building on it? How about expanding it?
Contrary to what most say, the Platform IS NOT all about your following, your crowd. You can’t have a following if you don’t have two other things: a Vision and a Passion. Think of the Platform as a three-legged stool. If any single leg is missing, it no longer functions as intended. It falls down.
With the Author’s Vision, the Platform begins to come to life … the track it ventures builds traction. Coupled with the Author’s Passion, the commitment is made, the reaching out is initiated. Discoverability opens up. Fans and Followers come–your awaiting crowd.
Steps you can take to bring the crowd in to support your Vision and Passion include, but not limited to:
• Developing an on-line presence—with social media … Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc., the town hall of social media.
• Getting publicity—seek out sources that are author-friendly, such as a local weekly newspaper.
• Podcast guesting—search online for podcasts that feature authors that are in your expertise.
• Speaking—increasing your visibility, people want to take your “words” home. And they buy books.• Writing articles in traditional print as well as online.
• Staying connecting with your followers—reach out to them and share your insights, your wisdom, your vision, supported by your passion!
Remember this: if there is little to no real Vision, how can Passion for your topic evolve and be developed? To welcome followers. The crowd. It starts with a Plan … what’s yours?
Understand this: the true Author Platform is at the core of your success.
Dr. Judith Briles is a book publishing expert and author of 37 multi-award books. Judith has earned over 40 national book awards for her titles. She’s guided over 1,000 authors in creating their books, earned in excess of $3,000,000 in speaking fees based on her books and gathered over $2,000,000 in onsite book sales at her speaking gigs. Her book, How to Create a $1,000,000 Speech flips a difficult topic into a simple and easily comprehensible plan. If you want to get into speaking, this is the guide that will be the game-changer to success. And, if you want to know more about Judith’s life, her book of “hope” is When God Says NO-Revealing the YES When Adversity and Loss Are Present. You can get it HERE.
Listen to The Book Shepherd’s weekly podcast: AuthorU-Your Guide to Book Publishing.
Check the Events tab on The Book Shepherd for Judith’s annual Speaking Unplugged, Book Publishing Unplugged, and Book Marketing Unplugged.